Sunday, July 14, 2019

A Tale of Two Tread Plates, Update

OK, it's now been two years since the original experiment...

Here's how they look now:


As you can see, the untreated tread plate on the left is still groady... in fact it is even worse in real life than the picture shows.

And on the right is the plate which was treated with BAC, still looking clean, tho grey.  I said BAC, but for this experiment I actually used a version of BAC that has some silicone functional groups substituted for some of the carbon-based groups.  This version, called "Gold Shield" (sample provided by Drew - thanks!) is considerably more proof against washing out.  In fact it is used by hospitals to sterilize and keep sterile their bedding, even tho it is frequently washed.

I call this experiment concluded, and a success.  I am going to treat the other tread plate, and our bare teak rub strakes, with Gold Shield.






Share/Bookmark

2 comments:

Captain Curmudgeon said...

Use to rub lemon on my teak grates and rub stakes. Natural and cheap.8

Drew Frye said...

Nice!

Yup, Goldshield works a lot like BAC, but is slower to wash out. Fortunately, my new boat has zero teak! And yet there are some areas of gelcoat that never see the sun and tend to get spotty. I'm going to have to try it out.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...