It was a great little thing - it kept the temperature right where we wanted it, and was 7-day programmable, so that we could set it up to match our lifestyle. But unfortunately, the touch screen became more and more recalcitrant, eventually ignoring our ever more frantic finger taps altogether. And then it started doing very weird things, like reporting -50° as the temperature.
So I made a little bezel for the thermostat out of some old teak decking that I had squirreled away. Which takes us, finally, to the point of this post. Our sister site provides me with a never-ending series of inspirations and, sometimes, almost irrational wants. But this one isn't irrational: painter's points. The thermostat project provided the impetus for a trip to H*** D****, where I bought a set of 10 of the little yellow plastic pyramids for almost nothing.
Here they are in simulated use, holding the bezel up so that the sides can be coated without gluing the bezel down to the sheet of newspaper which was actually underneath when I did the varnishing.
I also used them in the finishing of a new floorboard that I made - I painted the bottom side, and then inverted it immediately onto the points so that I could finish the top side. Yes the points made tiny dits in the finish, but they were small enough that they disappeared on successive coats. Very, very handy. And they take up essentially no space.
Yes, you do need a set.