Tuesday, October 30, 2018

New Eyes, New Beginnings

One of the marks of a great artist, or a great writer, is that they can look at a scene or situation with new eyes, even tho they may have experienced it a million times before.  It is that ability to see instead of just looking that is the great divider.  I know people who have this ability, but it is a rare commodity, making these very special people indeed (yes Sarah Gayle, I am talking about you).

I do not have it.

As a consequence, it is difficult indeed for me to see living aboard, or sailing, or boating in general with new eyes.  If I have addressed a subject once before, it is hard indeed for me to find something new to say about it.  And after 10+ years of blogging about life on board, I need to find my "new eyes".  Thus the dearth of recent posts.

None of this has been made any easier by my recent health problems - problems that have kept me off the boat, for all but one partial afternoon where I was required to literally crawl aboard on my hands and knees, since the end of July.

But I have had the surgery, and I am regaining strength in my legs.  And hope has replaced resignation.

I believe that once I sleep aboard again, I will get those "new eyes"  because I will have a new beginning.  There will be more, and more frequent posts, written at the desk aboard Eolian.

Fair winds, following seas, and calm anchorages to you.

bob




Share/Bookmark

4 comments:

Kevin McNeill said...

Wishing you all the best Bob, getting back on board will happen new eyes or no

Robert Salnick said...

Thanks Kevin!

Anonymous said...

‘never loose your childish enthusiasm’. this is one of my guiding principles for life and art. It has served me well, and kept me willing and able to see a new perspective. I truly believe that getting back aboard Eolian will be the catalyst you need to be carried into a place where you can see all things new. There is nothing like time on a boat to heal all the ills of life. Wishing you and Jane all the best, and we hope to see you soon. Xo Sarah Gayle & Jonathan

Robert Salnick said...

Sarah/Jonathan -
What beautiful words - thank you so much!
I believe you are completely correct, and I am so looking forward to that first nite sleeping aboard again!

bob

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...