Monday, April 9, 2012

Project ST5000: Cockpit lash-up

I have the ST5000+ now running in the cockpit!  There it is, in front of the old Benmar controller it is going to replace.

By setting it up in the cockpit, I have discovered that I do not have the center of travel between the limit switches anywhere near where the wheel is amidships...  With the wheel centered, it is a turn and a half going in one direction till the limit switch stops the motion, but only a half a turn in the other direction.

I've got to figure out how to recenter things.  Well, I guess that is a full-blown philosophical question...



Update:
Got it.  Here's what I did:
  • Run the autopilot until the limit switch tripped on the side with only 1/2 turn away from center.  Turn off the autopilot.
  • Go down below and loosen the drive unit until I could move it far enough to disengage the chain
  • Back in the cockpit, turn the wheel another 1/2 turn
  • Re-position the drive unit and engage the chain.  Tighten in place.
Perfect.

But I'm still working on centering myself.

Share/Bookmark

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am pretty impressed that you have gotten this far, and it is working! Good job and keep up the posts which are very informative and useful.

Cheers

Simon

Robert Salnick said...

Simon -

I must believe that it is going to work out... I've pulled all vestiges of the old Benmar autopilot out (except the drive unit of course).

Know anybody who would want a Benmar controller (I have 2), a Benmar compass unit (I have 3), or a Benmar remote (I have 2)?

bob

Dustin said...

Hi Simon and Bob,
My wife and are fixing an old boat to liveaboard hopefully this fall. I am interested in Benmars if you still have them. Thanks
*dustin*dot*hines*at*g mail* dot* com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...