Monday, January 27, 2014

Conflicted


We're sailors, right?  Wind is our means of movement, our propulsion.  We know how our boats respond to it in all of its vagaries.  We need it; we want it; we crave it.

And yet.

Saturday here in Seattle was wonderfully calm.  And I confess that I felt guilty pleasure in floating around in the marina in the dinghy, unmolested by wind.  Yesterday I joined the ranks of power boaters, for whom smooth water is the ideal, for just while.

I don't think I am alone in this...  We sailors are a difficult to please lot; we want wind when we are off the dock or anchor, but once we tie up or drop the hook, that wind that we so ardently sought is now an uninvited guest, causing the boat to yaw about or squeeze her fenders against the dock.  It's noisy and it disturbs our peace.

We're conflicted people.



Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...