Monday, January 6, 2014

Tie shooter

(I wonder how many folks ended up here because they were looking for some Star Wars © related toy)
  • Zip ties,
  • Tie-wraps, 
  • Wire ties,
  • Cable ties,
  • Nylon ties,
  • Panduits (if you work for the Boeing company)...
Whatever you call them - they're all the same thing.  And I know you have them on board - every boat does.  In fact you probably have a stash of them, ready to hand.  They are so handy that they get used for everything.  They're probably right there next to your duct tape.

That's where this tool comes in - it can pull the ties a lot tighter than you can by hand, and it cuts them off almost flush with the retainer/ratchet gizmo.  The little red knob is an adjustment for the tension that is applied - the tool is strong enough to break the smaller wire tires if the tension is all the way up.

It's not an expensive tool - I'm sure I paid less than $10 for mine, but it was an impulse buy (too many of my tool purchases are...) and I don't remember where I got it any more.  But here are some available today that I found on the Intertubes:
The bottom line is that these things are incredibly cheap, they allow you to pull and cut a wire tie in a restricted space using only one hand, and they do a better job than you can do by hand.  You need to have one on board.



    Share/Bookmark

    No comments:

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...