Dinner was fabulous, if a little sad because of this (I always get maudlin at the passing of the summer). Jane picked all the crab we still had in the freezer (it was getting a little old), and I made crab cakes - yum!
- Pick the meat from 5 or 6 medium rock crabs
- Add two eggs
- Crunch up a half a line of saltines or so and add it
- Add a big blob of mayonnaise
- Season with Old Bay or shrimp boil (my favorite), or...
- Mix it all up completely
Spoon the mixture into a hot pan with a tablespoon or so of olive oil, shaping it into patties - pat them down until they are perhaps 1/2" thick. Fry until they are golden brown on each side.
Makes 4 6-8" diameter crab cakes
Other things you might consider adding to the mix:
- chopped celery
- chopped bell pepper
- squeeze in a clove or two of garlic
- chopped dill weed