We are talking about our daytank. It is a 40 gallon steel tank, obviously designed for some other purpose and adapted to serve here. Unfortunately, the adaptation process was inadequate. The tank leaks from an inaccessible fitting on the bottom - we've never used it.
So, out it will come.
And finally, I started to cut away at the tank. See, there is no way the 19" tall tank will fit thru that 18" tall space between the floor timber and the generator. And even if the measurements were reversed, it still wouldn't fit because it would have to go thru on a diagonal, and there is no way that can happen.
Now there are some logistics involved here. Cutting the tank is a noisy, difficult operation. It is wedged in there with little clearance for multiple fuel plumbing runs, the exhaust plumbing for the generator, the cooling water for the generator and the heat pump, and finally, lots of heavy cables connecting the batteries. (I am really going to appreciate the room we will recover when it is out.) Getting the sawzall into a position where it can bear on the task without cutting something else is difficult. All of this says that I should think about the logistics in order to make the fewest cuts possible.
I have decided to take off the top half of the tank. This will make it possible to pass the remaining bottom half between the floor timber and the generator. But I cannot do this in a single cut because I can't get at the outside of the tank with the sawzall - I must make the cuts from the *inside* of the tank. The last thing I got accomplished on Monday was the removal of perhaps the first quarter or so of the tank top half - the picture shows this.
Next Monday: lots more cutting...