How to find excitement in the routine?
Standing out there with small pieces of blue tape on my fingers, I had plenty of time to contemplate this. Here are the inducements I came up with:
- Pride: When I am done, it will look good, and I will be proud of that.
- Responsibility: Much like raising children, I signed up for this, and it is my responsibility to get it done
- Fear: If I let it slide, it will only be more work next year.
- Excitement: I reached back and snagged that initial excitement that I felt when I did this work for the first time, as a new large boat owner. Granted, that reach is getting longer - 1997 is pretty far back!
- Mutual encouragement: When Jane is here, we talk about the work, share in the work, and encourage each other to get to it. Unfortunately, this piece is lacking at the moment, as she is still in Indiana.
You may not have to re-do your brightwork every year, but you surely have tasks that need to be done routinely and which you'd just as soon skip (waxing the car comes to mind...). How do you motivate yourself?