|Rudolph leads the way|
Wanting to be full participants, we rigged Eolian's dinghy with the handle from our deck brush as a mast, and strung a string of lites from the stern, over the mast and down to the bow. These were battery-operated LED lites, and were full-on kitsch because they blinked and changed colors.
Of course, the final bit is that the dinghy outboard, our not-so-trusty 2 HP motor, should run so that we could stay in the conga line. So yesterday afternoon I put the dinghy down and started the engine, just to make sure. Well tried to start the engine. In the end, I had to take the spark plug out and heat it on the stove to burn off the oil and water on it. And then when the engine did start, it would never get anywhere near full power output - and believe me, when you only have 2 HP, you need all 2 HP. The smell of the exhaust told me that the gas was old.
So I drove the dinghy up and down the waterway, trying to heat up the motor to dry out any condensation in the ignition system, and trying to burn off the old gas.
|I give Brent & Jill the prize |
for the most lights
|The end of G Dock, and Eolian's |
interrupted strand of blue lites
So maybe having an unreliable engine can be a good thing after all...
Postscript: a new sparkplug cured the engine woes. Well actually two new sparkplugs. I discovered that sparkplugs do not float.