Friday, November 27, 2009

Thanksgiving 2009

It really is a good thing to have a day set aside for this. Too often we are experts at the cynical, the whine, the complaint. Beka said it way better than I can. Throughout the history of mankind, there have been very, very few who would not have jumped at the chance to enjoy the blessings we have.

But: Just one day??!? Really, one day a year is laughably inadequate. The challenge for all of us is to live each day consciously - fully aware of all the goodness that comes our way, every day. Every single day.

So especially today, here are some things that we are thankful for (sublime, mundane and maritime guaranteed to be randomly mixed):
  • That Adam could join us for the Thanksgiving celebration.
  • That Ken and Erica's pregnancy is moving along normally, right on schedule. I've seen an ultrasound of a foot! And a nose!
  • That Jon and Tina (part of Adam's BBH crew) are able to join us for Thanksgiving.
  • That Joe Buys (also part of the BBH crew) can join us. We will have a full table for the feast, and that is as it should be.
  • That we have had 80" of snow already for skiing!
  • That both Jane and I have new (old) skis this year!
  • I am thankful every single time that the heat pump on Eolian kicks on! (It just did - Yay! - I am writing this ahead.)
  • I am thankful that we are privileged to live here, where we can enjoy near-spring like conditions and yet be within driving distance of skiing.
  • I am thankful that we were tested - our week of 30+ kt winds is over - and that we, and all our friends on the dock, survived it unscathed.
  • I am thankful for the wonderful friends that the liveaboard lifestyle has provided us over the years.
  • I am thankful that we have no deck leaks this year (knock wood).
  • I am thankful that I have the luxury of a heated shop to fix things in. And a long list of things to fix!
  • I am thankful that I am nearly done with rebuilding the deck at our cabin (after 3! years)

Jane preferred the essay approach:

I have many things to be thankful for, family and friends topping the list. As a sailor, I am thankful for an incredible summer that just kept giving. It seemed like just desserts as we had a record-setting winter leaving snow on our finger pier numerous times, nonetheless, this summer tops my record as my best in Seattle. Summer arrived early for us, meaning from Memorial Day on we enjoyed plenty of sunshine and wind. The dock was the site of numerous dock parties that lingered late because we weren't chilled by a fierce evening blow. The San Juans provided plenty of anchor lingering days and a memorable ride from Lopez to Port Madison in less than a day. Our favorite gunkholes were welcoming as we enjoyed some of the most comfortable evenings we have had sailing in the Pacific Northwest.

We are definitely November in Seattle now, rain, rain, rain. I am thankful as that is how it should be. Temperate lowlands make life on the dock manageable. The rain is snow, snow, snow in the mountains. I am thankful for the white stuff as we enter the ski season. The Salnicks have enjoyed another bountiful year with many joys.
Share/Bookmark

1 comment:

e said...

Happy Thanksgiving!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...